Monday 11 January 2016

Retrospective fun

Why is it we wait all autumn for the white stuff to come and when it does finally come, we either spend all our time trying to remove it or complain about it.

Today was one of those days.  I wouldn't exactly say that today's route was in good condition - it was desperate.  Too much useless snow which only hid all the hooks, gear placements, ledges and put the suffering back into winter climbing.


I got hot aches not once but twice.  I got cold - really cold and that is with wearing all my toasty warm clothes. The flask got buried in the rucksack along with the food so that wasn't going to happen and I left my axes bungy cord at home so was completely paranoid about dropping them into the abyss.

You get alot of time thinking about things when literally freezing one's t*ts off at belay ledges (Note:  this is absolutely no reflection on how fast Rich climbed - if I were leading we would still be there now) and we chuckled at the top of the route (trust me, there was absolutely not chuckling on the route) about why we do it.


So why do we do it?  The unanswerable question I fear.