Tuesday 10 September 2013

Ironman Wales 2013

For the past 20 odd years, Derek has unquestionably supported all my ridiculous antics come hell or high water.


This weekend, it was time to repay the favour.


I have never been somebody who sits on the sideline, so I decided to fully embrace the supporting role.


My thinking was that it would be the 112 mile bike ride that Derek would struggle with, especially in the minging weather, so I took it upon myself to get to the most random places to ring my bells.


My reason for this being that the amazing crowds that gather in the villages will pull them through them.


Once the swim and the bike were done, I knew I could relax since it was always the running that Derek was strong on.  However, this year, the running legs had obviously gone on holiday and the pain started to show.


So, for the second year, Derek completed the Ironman Wales - probably one of the toughest Ironman events on the circuit.


A massive thank you to all the special people who cheered him on, sent him messages (that got relayed to him as he fought his own battle around the course) and were there in spirit.  You know who you are :)

And yes, he is now looking at next years Ironman - but will perhaps choose a sunnier climate!